The first thing you really need to understand is that the definition of racism that you probably have (which is the colloquial definition: “racism is prejudice against someone based on their skin color or ethnicity”) is NOT the definition that’s commonly used in anti-racist circles.
The definition used in anti-racist circles is the accepted sociological definition (which is commonly used in academic research, and has been used for more than a decade now): “racism is prejudice plus power”. What this means, in easy language:
A. Anyone can hold “racial prejudice” — that is, they can carry positive or negative stereotypes of others based on racial characteristics. For example, a white person thinking all Asians are smart, or all black people are criminals; or a Chinese person thinking Japanese people are untrustworthy; or what-have-you. ANYONE, of any race, can have racial prejudices.
B. People of any race can commit acts of violence, mistreatment, ostracizing, etc., based on their racial prejudices. A black kid can beat up a white kid because he doesn’t like white kids. An Indian person can refuse to associate with Asians. Whatever, you get the idea.
C. However, to be racist (rather than simply prejudiced) requires havinginstitutional power. In North America, white people have the institutional power. In large part we head the corporations; we make up the largest proportion of lawmakers and judges; we have the money; we make the decisions. In short, we control the systems that matter. “White” is presented as normal, the default. Because we have institutional power, when we think differently about people based on their race or act on our racial prejudices, we are being racist. Only white people can be racist, because only white people have institutional power.
D. People of color can be prejudiced, but they cannot be racist, because they don’t have the institutional power. (However, some people refer to intra-PoC prejudice as “lateral racism”. You may also hear the term “colorism”, which refers to lighter-skinned PoC being prejudiced toward darker-skinned PoC.) However, that situation can be different in other countries; for example, a Japanese person in Japan can be racist against others, because the Japanese have the institutional power there. But in North America, Japanese peoplecan’t be racist because they don’t hold the institutional power.
E. If you’re in an area of your city/state/province that is predominantly populated by PoC and, as a white person, you get harassed because of your skin color, it’s still not racism, even though you’re in a PoC-dominated area. The fact is, even though they’re the majority population in that area, they still lack the institutional power. They don’t have their own special PoC-dominated police force for that area. They don’t have their own special PoC-dominated courts in that area. The state/province and national media are still not dominated by PoC. Even though they have a large population in that particular area, they still lack the institutional power overall.
F. So that’s the definition of racism that you’re likely to encounter. If you start talking about “reverse racism” you’re going to either get insulted or laughed at, because it isn’t possible under that definition; PoC don’t have the power in North America, so by definition, they can’t be racist. Crying “reverse racism!” is like waving a Clueless White Person Badge around.
- formerpresidentbeyonce likes this
- breannekiele likes this
- it-is-rats reblogged this from shavingryansprivates
- jojoroars likes this
- widening-skies reblogged this from marfmellow
- ga11erian reblogged this from famousdavesbarbeque
- nervium likes this
- vintagelydia reblogged this from cjwritergal
- vintagelydia likes this
- when-deprogramming-stripes likes this
- pica-scribit likes this
- farmer-zaph reblogged this from cjwritergal
- kat2kool likes this
- somebirdsarentmeanttobecaged likes this
- cjwritergal reblogged this from moelskerdeg
- cjwritergal likes this
- see-reverse-side likes this
- unsurpassedtravesty reblogged this from moelskerdeg
- askjellybean likes this
- moelskerdeg reblogged this from marfmellow
- dishonora reblogged this from lastofthetimeladies
- coffeeandsleep likes this
- flannelsexual likes this
- endless-isolation likes this
- howonhyung likes this
- glomerularfiltrationrate reblogged this from keysballs
- bobacchi reblogged this from moshimoshicthulhudesu
- totalitarismo likes this
- vomitrod likes this
- legend-x reblogged this from fuckyeahawesomevulvas
- fluffy-and-pointy reblogged this from marfmellow
- wily-caryatid reblogged this from bigfatfeminist
- lafrondeuse reblogged this from criminallyinsanespinster
- privateers likes this
- yellowbananaredvelvet reblogged this from vasundharaa
- yellowbananaredvelvet likes this
- mountainmagnolia reblogged this from mirrific
- eureka-maru likes this
- withoutmarbles reblogged this from mirrific
- puppy-eater likes this
- charyn likes this
- sylph-of-bass reblogged this from mirrific
- mirrific reblogged this from scifiscullyandhersilversoul
- saccharineshock reblogged this from symbolicactionwithintent
- acneplace likes this
- symbolicactionwithintent reblogged this from professorspork
- down-in-the-west-coast reblogged this from lesbianvenom
- scifiscullyandhersilversoul reblogged this from jackfuckingmccoy